Did you use the same analyzer for both querying and indexing?
If so, which one?

I recommend you use Luke to examine the parsing for various
queries. Start by making sure WhitespaceAnalyzer is the analyzer
chosen on the "search" tab and go from there.

We'll talk past each other until you include some code snippets
I suspect. The important parts are:
1> what analyzer you use at INDEX time.
2> what analyzer you use at SEARCH time.
3> what is the query you submit?
4> what is returned from Query.toString().

A small, self-contained program with the *minimal* code
showing your problem would allow folks to give you much
better feedback...

Best
Erick