Thanks for the reply. Everything is working correctly now. I jumped the gun without debuging it more. booleanANDSearch was not getting set correctly.

Erick Erickson wrote:
I don't see a problem with your booleanANDSearch thingy, although
I haven't tried it.

Does toString() return the same string regardless of the value of
booleanANDSearch? That would surprise me. The default
is OR, so the toString output looks like booleanANDSearch is false.

In general, the Lucene syntax is
no symbol SHOULD
+              MUST
-               MUST_NOT

If this doesn't help, could you give us the toString for your
query1 and query2?

Erick