Thanks for the response Michael.

Sorry, I'm using Lucene 2.2. We are using Lucene to index our database
(Oracle) into documents for full-text search feature. Here is the
process of indexing,

1) Have two IndexWriters which run in two different threads and write
to two different directories (temporary indexes). They both read from
the same queue (db resultset queue) and then right to the index. Close
the indexwriters once done.
2) Once the IndexWriters are done we start the MasterIndex, which is
another IndexWriter. This merges the indexes in those two temporary
3) Once the writer.addIndexes is done I call writer.optimize() and
then writer.close().
4) Our IndexSearcher reads only from the MasterIndex

Once in a while we kill the running application using "kill -9". I
think if the IndexWriter is in process of merging and we kill it we
run into this problem. It has already happened few times in last one
week. I do clean up the lock if there is a write.lock at the startup
of the system. I can not recreate the index as it may take hours to
re-index.

I don't have any shutdown hook right now, but I'm thinking of adding
one for graceful index closing.  We use following merge parameters,

mergeFactor=100
maxMergeDocs=99999
maxBufferedDocs=1000

I can try out your tool, is it something that can be integrated into
the application itself? So, basically I'm looking to catch the
"FileNotFoundException" and take some action to recover from it.

Thanks,
-vivek