Hello,

I am experimenting with lucene MultiSearcher and do some simple
BooleanQueries in which I combine a couple of TermQueries. I am
experiencing, that a single lucene index for just 100.000 docs (~10 k
each) is like 100 times faster than when I have about 100 seperate
indexes and use MultiSearcher. The difference specifically is visible
when the number of hits gets lower (ie, more TermQueries). A single
index seems to be way faster. I must admit I did optimize the single
index (but I can't imagine this explains the 100X).

Is it correct that a single index is much faster when the query consists
of many TermQueries where the number of hits is low? Does lucene
something like starting with the Term that has the lowest number of
hits, and then do the consecutive terms with the lowest hits? Is this
more efficient within one index, or is it the combining of the hits that
makes it slower?

Hopefully somebody can enlight me,

thx

Regards Ard