As you suggest you could either roll the index on the local machine or
remote and gzip the content fileds on the archive index and provide a
GzipReader when you need to search old results.

If money is of the essence then the best solution probably is to have 1 good
box with fast SCSI disks which serves the primary index and an "archive"
slower machine with huge cheap IDE disks.
You then need to have a servlet or such on the archive server which
understands searching over http. Anyone said SOLR :)

//Marcus