Interesting... I didn't explicitly turn that on... I'm creating a query using
query parser, then executing a search using that query and a sort.  Would this
algorithmically somehow invoke the FieldCacheImpl?  If so, anyway I can turn it
off?  Basically the caching wouldn't be valuable anyway given the volatility of
the index, and I'm not that concerned with speed.  (seeing most queries take
well under 20ms)

Here's the searcher thread, if the code would help... note rd is my
RAMDirectory object - it is never closed / reopened for the life of the
application.

  public tps_search_results searchIndex(String query, String sortColumn,
boolean desc) {
    ArrayList<Long> results = new ArrayList<Long>();

    try {

      if (!readerTPS.isCurrent()) {
        searcher.close();
        readerTPS.close();
        readerTPS = IndexReader.open(rd);
        searcher  = new IndexSearcher(readerTPS);
      }

      Query q = parserTPS.parse(query);

      Sort sort = new Sort(sortColumn, desc);

      Hits hits = searcher.search(q, sort);

      for (Iterator<Hit> it = hits.iterator(); it.hasNext(); ) {
        Hit hit = it.next();

        results.add(Long.parseLong(hit.get("ticket_id")));
      }

    } catch (Exception e) {
      rlog.exception(e);
    }

    rlog.queryComplete(": Results count: " + results.size());

    tps_search_results ret_results = new tps_search_results(results);

    return ret_results;
  }