You still haven't explained *why* you want to rerank results. What
is the use-case you're trying to implement? Quite often it's turned
out for me that when I let folks on the list know what the use
case I'm trying to support is, they come up with much more elegant
solutions than I was thinking about.

For instance, does the CustomScoreQuery class have any relevance
to your problem?

If you're thinking of modifying the core Lucene code for your
special purpose, I'd advise against it unless and until you'd exhausted
all the other options. It's always a maintenance headache to do this.

Best
Erick