I think you may want to look into the Highlighter. It allows you to show
the "relevant" bits of the document which contributed to the document
being matched to the query. It does a pretty good job. Of course it does
not create a "summary" but it does give you a good idea of why the
document was hit.

http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Lucene-trunk/javadoc//org/apache/lucene/search/highlight/Highlighter.html

Donna Gresh