Note that there are actually two concurrency issues to guard against
here:

  * Document itself cannot be changed (fields added or removed) from
    multiple threads without external synchronization.

  * Document cannot be changed from one thread while another thread is
    calling writer.addDocument.  It's this case that's causing your
    1st exception.

Please report back on whether adding correct external synchronization
resolves this!

I can explain why the original exception leads to index corruption:
IndexWriter incorrectly increments the buffered document count even
when there is an exception and the document was not in fact added to
the segment.  I will fix this so an exception when init'ing a document
doesn't then lead to index corruption...

Thanks for reporting this Tyler!

Mike