Hi Toke,

Thanks for the write-up. Speaking for the community, the graphs (as earlier) would be great.

There is no benchmarks page on the Wiki. There is one on the main site to which you can add your stuff -
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_1_0/benchmarks.html
Maybe one should create one on the wiki - not exactly called benchmarks but titled as performance studies/findings or something similar to that.

BTW, guys, I am slowly going into testing performance on multi-disks on multi-core machines (one indexer/searcher/index per disk). Initial results are encouraging. If anyone has some pointers or done something similar, it would be great.

Thanks
Srikant

Toke Eskildsen wrote:
Time for another dose of inspiration for investigating Solid State
Drives. And no, I don't get percentages from the chip manufacturers :-)

This time I'll argue that there's little gain in using a RAMDirectory
over SSDs, when performing searches. At least for our setting.

[...]

Grand conclusion? Getting 3/4 of the performance of RAMDirectory by
using SSDs on a machine with much less RAM seems like a good deal if
high performance / machine is needed.

Remember, this is all searches with an optimized index. This is on the
corpus from the Danish State and University Library and should be seen
as nothing else than inspiration.

Still pending is experiments with updating large indexes on SSDs. My
guess is that there won't be anywhere near the same speed-increase as
for the pure searches. It'll have to wait a bit though, as it requires
Real Work, as opposed to just starting a script.

NB: I'd like to post my findings on the Lucene wiki, but I have been
unable to locate the appropriate page. Could someone please point me in
the right direction?