This is "fast and loose" code (from my head; check the syntax). I *highly*
recommend you get a copy of the book Lucene in Action; it will really
help.

To create the index, add a document with two fields; one for the sender
and one for the email text.

IndexWriter indexWriter = new IndexWriter(......

Document emailDoc = new Document();
Field senderField = new Field("sender", senderEmailAddress,
Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.UN_TOKENIZED);
emailDoc.add(senderField);
Field textField = new Field("emailText", textOfEmail, Field.Store.YES,
Field.Index.TOKENIZED);
emailDoc.add(textField);
indexWriter.addDocument(emailDoc);

Then when you are searching, search in the email text field:

Query query = new TermQuery(new Term("emailText","searchTerm"));
Hits hits = searcher.search(query);
Document doc = hits.doc(0); //best fit document
String emailSender = doc.get("sender");
String emailText = doc.get("emailText");

Donna L. Gresh
Services Research, Mathematical Sciences Department
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
(914) 945-2472
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/g/donnagresh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nitasha Walia (niwalia)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 04/02/2008 02:26:45
PM: