Karl Wettin skrev:
Michael McCandless skrev:
Karl Wettin wrote:
Is it so that document and field boosts are omitted together with Field#setOmitNorms? By setting lengthNorm to 1f in the Similarity for these fields and not omitting norms would fix it?

Yes and yes.

I'm not sure if I do these things backwards or what, but in this case the resolution of the 8 bit float of norms is not enough for me.

So I patched the norms float table in Similarity to handle the boost values I assign my documents. Discretized 100f-250f in 60 bags and cought up with the default table in 16 more bags.

But to me it seem as this only works if I also turn off length normalization for all the other fields in my index, as they will affect the value of the norm?

I could store it in the payloads of my tokens too, but I really don't want payloads on all of them.

Now I'm thinking it would be nice to store a full float in an optional document boost file. Perhaps with variable bytesize. But that would take a lot of effort to update all related code.

Is there an easier way out here? Perhaps variable byte size per norms and field? Document payloads? I don't know. Help much appreciated.

PS

What I really try to do is to add a weight to each document based on a number of values in the domain object it represents. As I only want to add this weight to the documents that match the query I don't can't add a query with boosts on these values as that would match all documents.

    karl