Hi PV,

On 05/07/2008 at 2:54 AM, PV wrote:
> Sorry for cross posting, but why the word 'Farsi' instead of
> 'Persian'?  No one says Lucnce français or Español, or Deutsch - so why Farsi?
>
> Please read the following article, I found it quite enlightening.
> http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Languages/persian_not_farsi.htm
>
> PV

I was unable to follow your link -- I get the message "The page cannot be
found" -- but Google's cache came to my rescue:

<http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:vJo1ye09MzYJ:www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Languages/persian_not_farsi.htm+persian+farsi+site:cais-soas.com&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a>

The article makes fine logical arguments against the use of "Farsi", but
clearly does not take a balanced point of view on the controversy.

I count myself among the ignorant - I had not realized that "Farsi" was a
politically charged term.  That said, I don't plan on refusing to use the term.
 I'll just think about the impact of the choice (now that I'm aware there is
one) before I do use it.

Thanks for the pointer.  Knowledge is good.

Steve