well the ? would work if the length of each token be same.
however, instead of A>B>C I want tags that change dynamically from 1 to
unlimited length.

I just I could just pad every token to a normalized length such as
00000000...000A but i am hoping there is a better method.

if we could tell lucene to do it like in a regular expression until a > is
there to insert ??'s ...

Another way could be to do the regularexpression outside lucene, but then
still there is need for fetching the hits.

Best.
-C.B.