:   BESTOF( "apple"^10, "orange"^9, "pear"^8, "peach"^8, "grapes"^2 )
:
: So ideally in this field we want to find "apple", but would accept one of
: the other pre-defined alternatives as a match. If the document field
: contains apples it scores higher than if it only contains oranges, but a
: document with apples AND oranges only has apples taken into consideration,

take a look at DisjunctionMaxQuery.  I'm 90% certain it's exactly what
you're talking about.

-Hoss