Really could use a sample sentence or two, maybe even a paragraph, just to make sure I'm following you here.

However, this sounds like, to me anyway, as a job for some higher order processing. If I understand you right, you are asking for a system that can reason about the types of things in the text. That is, you need to be able to identify the animals, as well as relate that there is some language suggesting there is one or more of them. If that is what you are talking about, the problem goes well beyond Lucene.

If, on the other hand, you already have this structure overlaid on top of the document, then it sounds like you just need to come up with the proper field structure to allow you to write queries like 5 AND Zebra

-Grant