: > I could do it that way, but couting the spans per document is specific to
: > SpanQuerys. I would still have to count hits for TermQuerys separately. I
: > was looking for a generic way to count hits for any instance of Query within
: > a document.

the orriginal Query, Weight, and Scorer APIs provided no mechanism for
doing this -- this is one of the reasons why the SpanQuery API exists, to
model the types of queries that (can) collect this type of information as
they score documents.  Non-Span based queries typically have no idea about
this type of information.  (which typically allows them to be faster)

-Hoss