This is tricky....

If you strip the apostrophe, you'd get interesting results from O'brien,
depending
upon how you stripped it (i.e. "closed up" the word to Obrien or substituted
a space, e.g. O brien). We've generally had the fewest surprises by closing
up apostrophes (i.e. Obrien, Charlies).

Unfortunately, anything you do will be wrong in some case. You can either
do something simple like the above, or, say, generate a dictionary that you
use. That is, basically keep a record of all the exceptions to your simple
rule
and transform the input before feeding the analyzer.

Personally, though, I'd close up the apostrophe and feed the analyzer. Don't
forget to do the same for the query.

Best
Erick

You know, my job would be a lot easier if English were regularized. Sign my
petition now!