>From the docs...

RAMDirectory

public *RAMDirectory*(Directory
<file:///C:/lucene-2.1.0/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/store/Directory.html>
dir)
             throws IOException
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/java/io/IOException.html>

Creates a new RAMDirectory instance from a different
Directoryimplementation. This can be used to load a disk-based index
into memory.

Seems like exactly what you're asking for...

Best
Erick