On Jul 9, 2008, at 10:14 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

I'm going to guess you have a doc where that field doesn't have a value.
ordinarily that's fine, but maybe SortComparator doesn't handle
that case very well.

But how does the built-in STRING sort work with null values then? And how do I make a SortComparitor that works?

what's the full stack trace look like?

See below.

- Paul

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.apache.lucene.search.SortComparator $1.compare(SortComparator.java:54) at org .apache .lucene.search.FieldSortedHitQueue.lessThan(FieldSortedHitQueue.java: 125)
        at org.apache.lucene.util.PriorityQueue.upHeap(PriorityQueue.java:139)
        at org.apache.lucene.util.PriorityQueue.put(PriorityQueue.java:53)
at org .apache .lucene.util.PriorityQueue.insertWithOverflow(PriorityQueue.java:78) at org .apache .lucene .search .FieldSortedHitQueue.insertWithOverflow(FieldSortedHitQueue.java:108) at org .apache .lucene.search.TopFieldDocCollector.collect(TopFieldDocCollector.java: 61)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.TermScorer.score(TermScorer.java:76)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.TermScorer.score(TermScorer.java:61)
at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java: 146) at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java: 124)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.getMoreDocs(Hits.java:100)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.<init>(Hits.java:77)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Searcher.java:55)