Hi,

my question: How did ebay solve this problem?

Take a look to the faceted browsing in the mark twain project:
http://www.marktwainproject.org/xtf/search?keyword=Berlin&style=mtp
http://tinyurl.com/5cvb3c

This solution is open source and from the xtf project (they use lucene).
http://xtf.wiki.sourceforge.net/programming_Faceted_Browsing

It also use the prefix search but it count the hits for the subtree without
extra search:
The tree of categories is very sufficient in the main memory, so the count
is quite fast.

"sufficient" means, that for each category and document -which belongs to
this category- one "int" is stored in main memory.

The faceted browsing of xtf can used without the rest of xtf (like the
sorting in lucene can used without lucene): you can breaking of the
coupling, but you should consinder to use xtf as a whole .

Keep me informed which solution you selected :-)

Best regards
  Karsten