I'd add to Michael's mail the *strong* recommendation that you provide
your own unique doc IDs and use *those* instead. It'll save you a world
of grief. Whenever you need to add a new doc to an existing index, you
can get the maximum of *your* unique IDs and increment it yourself.

One thing to remember is that not all Lucene docs need to have the same
fields. So it's even possible to have a *very special* document that
contains
meta-data about your index, say the last used of your generated IDs and
keep that meta-data doc up to date. If you put fields in that doc that are
NOT
in any other doc, you don't have to worry about accidentally getting this
meta-data doc in your searches....

Best
Erick