John Patterson wrote:

I just discovered some strange behaviour with deleted documents. I do a
search for documents with a certain query and delete one using
IndexWriter.deleteDocuments(Term) using a key for the term. Then I repeat
the search and the document is still there because I use a custom
HitCollector which does not check IndexReader.isDeleted(int). That is all
expected.

Hmm -- once a document is deleted, your HitCollector won't ever see it. During searching, isDeleted is called per document at a very low level.

If your HitCollector is seeing it, it sounds like it wasn't really deleted. Are you sure you closed the IndexWriter and then reopened your searcher, so that the searcher will see the deletion?

But when I try to show the deleted document by searching by key using the same term it was deleted with, it is not found. So it seems that the term
(id:MYKEY) is removed from the index.

This is odd -- the document should either be deleted (entirely), or not. You shouldn't get different behavior if you search for the doc one way vs another.

So I was surprised that the term for the id was removed but not the other
terms for document.

That make two of us!

Mike