Mike,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Michael McCandless wrote:

Mark Lassau wrote:

I am a developer on the JIRA Issue tracker, and we are considering upgrading our Lucene version from v2.2.0 to v2.3.2.
I have been charged with doing the risk analysis, and project work.

I have read the change lists, and the bugs reported on the Lucene Issue Tracker (JIRA of course ;), and some of the archived messages on the Lucene lists.

We love Jira -- thanks!

... and we love Lucene :)

<snip>

I would think LUCENE-1044 (not corrupting search index if OS or machine crashes) is important for Atlassian.

LUCENE-1044 is only marked as fixed in v2.4
I assumed that the possible corruption on hard shutdown existed in v2.2.0 (and earlier), so we are no worse off by upgrading to v2.3.2.
Is that the case?
The CHANGES.txt should be a reliable list of any non-backwards-compatible changes and how to revert to the old behavior (and if it isn't we'd love to hear about that!). EG merging is now done concurrently by default, flushing is by RAM usage not doc count, merge selection is by size-in-bytes of each segment (not size-in-doc-count).
Thanks, I read those. Good job on providing a very useful change summary.
However, I guess I was also interested in any reports "from the field". Sometimes there can be unexpected consequences. eg, I read somewhere of one user having multi-threaded issues because of a change from Vector to ArrayList in some implementation.

Cheers,
Mark.