On Sep 3, 2008, at 4:09 PM, Paul Elschot wrote:

Op Saturday 30 August 2008 18:22:50 schreef Matt Ronge:
On Aug 30, 2008, at 6:13 AM, Paul Elschot wrote:
Op Saturday 30 August 2008 03:34:01 schreef Matt Ronge:
Hi all,

I am working on implementing a new Query, Weight and Scorer that
is expensive to run. I'd like to limit the number of documents I
run this query on by first building a candidate set of documents
with a boolean query. Once I have that candidate set, I was hoping
I could build a filter off of it, and issue that along with my
expensive query. However, after reading the code I see that
filtering is done during the search, and not before hand.

Correct. I suppose you mean the filtering code in IndexSearcher?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

As Grant pointed out, this code was recently changed
by LUCENE-584.
I was referring to the (current trunk) code including this
change that uses skipTo() on a DocIdSetIterator obtained
from the Filter. Sorry for any confusion on this.

That clears things up alot :)
I kept looking at the code trying to figure out how it didn't filter after scoring. I'll download the latest code and look.

Thanks,
--
Matt