On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Michael McCandless
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Michael McCandless
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you thinking this would just fallback to Directory.fileModified on
>>> the
>>> segments_N file for that commit?
>>>
>>> You could actually do that without any API change, because IndexCommit
>>> exposes a getSegmentsFileName().
>>
>> If it is a RAMDirectory how can we get the lastmodified?
>
> RAMDirectory will report the System.currentTimeMillis() when the file was
> last changed.  Is that not sufficient?
>
>> Isn't it a lot of overhead to read the file modified time everytime
>> the timestamp is tobe obtained?
>
> I would think this method does not need to be super fast -- how frequently
> are you planning to call it?
Only during a onCommit() or a onInit(). So if the commit point is
passed over multiple times it would call this as many times.Not a big
deal in terms of performance. But it is still some 3-4 lines of code
which could very well be added to the API and exposed as a method
getTimestamp()