Just chipping in that I recall there being a number of discussions on java-dev about ThreadLocal and web containers and how they should be handled. Not sure if it pertains here or not, but you might find http://lucene.markmail.org/message/keosgz2c2yjc7qre?q=ThreadLocal helpful.

You might also consider asking on java-dev in this case, which usually isn't recommended, but this is pretty low-level stuff and seems more appropriate there. It does seem like a problem though and I'm not sure of the alternative just yet.