I question whether your example actually searches what you
think. What I suggest is that you get a copy of Luke and
look at what your queries actually produce. That'll give you
a much better idea of what happens under the covers.

Also, query.toString() is your friend. Try printing out your
queries (again, I recommend a small test program) to get
a better feel for what each analyzer does to your queries.

Of course you have to escape the ':' character when it does
not refer to a field. How else could you imagine that the
query parser can distinguish between a field designation
and a field value? Consider the query:

f:stuff g:morestuff

The parser has to understand that the ':' separates the
field 'f' from the value 'stuff' and that 'g' is another field. So
if you want to parse
f:stuff g:somemore:stuff
the parser gets all confused by whether the ':' between
somemore and stuff is a field delimiter or a value, unless
it's escaped.

Best
Erick