Since you have a lot of data, it wouldn't be wise to put those extra data
into Lucene index for storage. You will need to keep the data in sync, and
update those extra data in lucene index unnecessarily.
Lucene index is just like B-Tree index in database. It's just an auxiliary
data structure, and it'll consume resources to maintain the data structure.

So basically, using Lucene index as a storage would depend on how often you
data are updated.

The cut-off line usually is to put data that you will need to render search
results into Lucene index. And after user click on one of the search result,
just use database later on. But this isn't always correct. When you have 10
result per page, selecting the details from the database based on ids may
not be that costly at all.

--
Chris Lu