: I'm having a similar problem with my application, although we are using
: lucene 2.3.2. The problem we have is that we are required to sort on most of
: the fields (20 at least). Is there any way of changing the cache being used?

there is a patch in Jira that takes a completley different approach
towards dealing with sorting by using the *stored* values of the documents
that match...

...in theory it's "better" for use cases where:

  1) you are confident you are going to get back a "small" result set in
     proportion to the total size of your index.
  2) you need to support sorting on "lots" of fields and don't have enough
     ram for all of the FieldCaches of those fields

So far the only person to test it out (and post comments) is the patch
submitter, but if other people report success it might be worth adding as
a contrib.

(Disclaimer: it looks like the patch was updated after my last
review/comments.  i have not read, nor claim any opinion about the
currently attached patch)

-Hoss