I've discovered another flaw in using this technique:

(+contents:petroleum +contents:engineer +contents:refinery)
(+boost:petroleum +boost:engineer +boost:refinery)

It's possible that the first clause will produce a matching doc and none of
the terms in the second clause are used to score that doc. Yet another
reason to use BoostingTermQuery.

Peter