WARNING: I haven't had occasion to use the Directory.copy
method, so I'm talking a bit theoretically here.....

I guess my main issue with your scheme is the usual
abnormal termination issues and how you can be absolutely
sure boust what's in your FSDir. So I guess what I'd
do is create some kind of marker for whether your app was
gracefully shut down. Then, when gracefully shutting down,
use Directory.copy to copy FROM your RAMDir TO your
FSDir.

Upon startup, you can check your marker and, if all is well,
read your FSDirectory into your RAMDir, and away you go.
If you have any reason to doubt, you can reconstruct your
RAMDir from the DB.

Then you wouldn't have to worry in the least about making
parallel, transactional updates, you'd just use your RAMDir
and go from there.

Of course you could periodically do this copy if you didn't
regularly shut down.....

I leave the construction of the marker as an exercise for
the reader <G>...

Best
Erick