Michael McCandless schrieb:
When RAM is full, IW flushes the pending changes to disk, but does not commit them, meaning external (newly opened or reopened) readers will not see the changes.

Is there a built-in mechanism in the IndexReader to reload the index every now and then, after having checked that it has changed?

You must commit() or close() (which just calls commit() before closing) for external readers to see the changes.

So there is no means to do this automatically? I mean, I can count documents while adding them and do commit() every now and then, or I could commit every time one hour of indexing has passed, etc...

Best,

  Niels

--
Niels Ott