From: Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2009 2:34:47 PM
Subject: Re: Search using MultiSearcher generates OOM on a 1GB total
Partitioned indeces

Ah, I get it now. Given that you bumped your max clause up, it makes
sense. I'm pretty sure that the wildcard expansion is the root or your
memory problems. The folks on the list helped me out a lot understanding
what wildcards were about, see the thread titled "I just don't get wildcards
at all" in the searchable archives from several years ago...

Why do you want to generate queries of the form you showed? I'm
wondering if this is an XY problem and if you gave us a higher level
description of the problem you're trying to solve we'd be able to
suggest other approaches. I have a really hard time imagining a use
case where a user is well served by a clause that says
"any document that has word beginning with g and h and d and s.....",
so I'm assuming you're trying to solve something specific to your
domain.....

But if you really, truly do require this form, consider Filters. If your
problem really requires single-letter starts, consider creating 26
Filters at start up time and use those (see ConstantScoreQuery)
That'll chew up about 1.5M each of memory, faaaaar less than
you're consuming presently and will be blazingly fast. If you're
not limited to single-characters, *still* consider filters. They'll
consume little memory and are quite speedy to construct.

Best
Erick