People (including me) use Lucene to page through results all the time,
so I'm pretty sure you're OK.

so here's my answers...
(1) yes.
(2) Well, the default sort is by score so if you want some other
     ordering you have to sort.
(3) You can boost things at index time, but I don't think that's at all
     relevant. What order are you trying to enforce that you know
     enough about at index time to specify?

Do note, though, that Hits is deprecated. The problem is that
Hits was intended to be reasonable *only* when accessing the first
few documents. If you're paging far into the result set, be aware that
using Hits will re-execute the entire query every 100 (200?) results you
throw away. Think about one of the HitCollectors
(perhaps TopDocCollector) instead.

Best
Erick