Hi

I currently use NumberTools.longToString() to add integer fields to an index and allow range searching, then when searching I then preprocess the query (using regular expressions) and convert integer fields to NumberTools.longToString before it is parsed by the QueryParser, then when I return the results I use NumberTools.stringToLong(), so my implementation is flaky. Now I'm using Lucene 2.9 I thought Id use NumericField and hoped I could remove the preprocessing instead but I'm really not clear what I do on the indexing and searching side. I've even just bought the MEAP version of Lucene Action 2nd Edition and it doesn't even get a mention (nor does NumberTools for that matter it just mentions padding numbers with zeroes).

So please anyone got a simple example of how to add a numeric field to an index, and what has to be done on the search side, assuming receiving a text string that gets parsed by the QueryParser

thanks Paul