The source code attachment got somehow lost:

import org.apache.lucene.analysis.WhitespaceAnalyzer;

import org.apache.lucene.document.NumericField;

import org.apache.lucene.index.Term;

import org.apache.lucene.search.*;

import org.apache.lucene.util.LuceneTestCase;

import org.apache.lucene.util.NumericUtils;

public class TestNRQWithQueryParser extends LuceneTestCase {

  public void test() throws Exception {

    RAMDirectory directory = new RAMDirectory();

    IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(directory, new
WhitespaceAnalyzer(), true, IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength.UNLIMITED);

    for (int l=-5000; l<=5000; l++) {

      Document doc = new Document();

      doc.add(new Field("text", "the big brown", Field.Store.NO,
Field.Index.ANALYZED));

      doc.add(new NumericField("trie", Field.Store.NO,
true).setIntValue(l));

      writer.addDocument(doc);

    }

    writer.close();

    Searcher searcher=new IndexSearcher(directory, true);

    QueryParser parser = new QueryParser("text", new WhitespaceAnalyzer()) {

      @Override

      protected Query newRangeQuery(String field, String part1, String
part2, boolean inclusive) {

        if ("trie".equals(field)) {

          return NumericRangeQuery.newIntRange(field,
Integer.parseInt(part1), Integer.parseInt(part2), inclusive, inclusive);

        } else {

          return super.newRangeQuery(field, part1, part2, inclusive);

      @Override

      protected Query newTermQuery(Term term) {

        if("trie".equals(term.field())) {

          return new TermQuery(new Term(term.field(),
NumericUtils.intToPrefixCoded(Integer.parseInt(term.text()))));

        } else {

          return super.newTermQuery(term);

    };

    TopDocs td;

    td = searcher.search(parser.parse("+trie:[20 TO 30]"), 5000);

    assertEquals(11, td.totalHits);

    td = searcher.search(parser.parse("+trie:[-4999 TO -4000]"), 5000);

    assertEquals(1000, td.totalHits);

    td = searcher.search(parser.parse("the big brown +trie:[-4999 TO
-4000]"), 5000);

    assertEquals(1000, td.totalHits);

    td = searcher.search(parser.parse("+trie:77"), 5000);

    assertEquals(1, td.totalHits);

    td = searcher.search(parser.parse("+trie:5001"), 5000);

    assertEquals(0, td.totalHits);

    td = searcher.search(parser.parse("the big brown +trie:\"-2\""), 5000);

    assertEquals(1, td.totalHits);

    td = searcher.search(parser.parse("+trie:\"-5001\""), 5000);

    assertEquals(0, td.totalHits);

    searcher.close();

    directory.close();

-----