Ok. Thanks.

The doc. says:
"Finds the top |n| hits for |query|, applying |filter| if non-null, and sorting the hits by the criteria in |sort|."

I understood that only the hits (50 in this) for the current search would be sorted...
I'll just do the ordering afterwards. Thank you for clarifying this issue.

--
Nuno Seco

Jake Mannix wrote:
Sorting utilizes a FieldCache: the forward lookup - the value a document has
for a
particular field (as opposed to the usual "inverted" way of looking at all
documents
which contains a given term), which lives in memory, and takes up as much
space
as one 4-bytes * numDocs.

If you've indexed the entire 5Gram data set on one index, on one machine,
you've
got how many documents?  Billions?  This will take up billions*4bytes of RAM
do this sort.

You need to shard your index (break it up onto multiple machines, do your
sort
distributed, and merge the results) if you want to do this sorting with any
kind
of performance.

  -jake