Yes, the branch is here:

    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/branches/flex_1458

Mark (Miller) periodically re-sync's it to trunk.

All tests should pass, and if you create a new Codec, please share the
experience!

There are not yet many Codecs in existence... the branch has the
"standard" codec (closest to Lucene's current index format, but makes
some compelling improvements to the terms dict), a "pulsing" codec
(which inlines low-freq terms into the terms dict), an intblock codec
(an abstract base for building int-block codecs).  There's also the
PForDelta codec, attached to LUCENE-1410, which subclasses the
intblock codec and uses PForDelta encoding.  It's probably best to
peek at these example codecs for inspiration on how to build yours.

Mike