Ahhh, I should have followed the link. I was interpreting your first note as
emitting two tokens NOT at the same offset. My mistake, ignore my nonsense
about unexpected consequences. Your original assumption is correct, zero
offsets are pretty transparent.

What do you really want to do here? Mark's email (at the link) allows
you to create queries queries expressing "find all phrases
of the form noun-verb-adverb" say. The slop allows for intervening words.

Your original post seems to want different semantics.

<<<I would like to do a search that retrieves documents when a given word is
used with a specific part of speech, e.g. all docs where "report" is used as
a noun>>>.

For that, my suggestion seems simpler, which is not surprising since it
addresses a less general problem. So instead of including a general
part of speech token, just suffix your original word with your marker and
use that for your "synonym.

Then expressing your intent is simply tacking on the part of speech
marker to the words you care about (e.g. report_n when you wanted
report as a noun). No phrases or slop required, at the expense of
more terms.

Hmmmm, if you wanted to, say, "find all the nouns in the index", you
could *prefix* the word (e.g. n_report) which would group all the
nouns together in the term enumerations....

Sorry for the confusion
Erick

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Christopher Tignor <ctig...@thinkmap.com>wrote:

> Thanks, Erick -
>
> Indeed every word will have a part of speech token but Is this how the slop
> actually works?  My understanding was that if I have two tokens in the same
> location then each will not effect searches involving other in terms of the
> slop as slop indicates the number of words *between* search terms in a
> phrase.

Are tokens at the same location actually adjacent in their ordinal values,