Yes, Lucene is an API. You'd have to write a significant amount
of code to accomplish what you want. The Lucene demo would
be a good place to start.

Lucene by itself doesn't index anything. You have to design a
schema, feed it data and search that data. You can make it
index file names, dates, sizes, whatever by coding appropriately.

Lucene has nothing to do with a web presentation layer, so you'd
also have to write a web application to have  a web interface.

I'm not familiar with any out-of-the-box products that do what you
want, but then I haven't looked.

HTH
Erick