That doesn't sound good.

Though, in searchWithFilter, we seem to ask for the Query's scorer,
and the Filter's docIdSetIterator, using the same reader (which may be
toplevel, for the legacy case, or per-segment, for the normal case).
So I'm not [yet] seeing where the issue is...

Can you boil it down to a smallish test case?

Mike