Hi Chris,

In our experience with large indexes (about 200-300GB) , we found most of
our bottlenecks involved disk I/O.  We found that if our experimental
indexes were too small, that much  of the index could fit in cache, and so
our test results  were not applicable to our larger indexes.  On the other
hand, once we started building our test indexes so they were significantly
larger than the amount of memory available for OS disk caching, we could see
results that extrapolated out to the large index.

Tom Burton-West
www.hathitrust.org