yes, if you use LUCENE_CURRENT, you may have to reindex (if any
analyzers/tokenizers you are using have changed).

if you use an actual version (for example LUCENE_30), you can upgrade your
jar file to say a future 3.1 jar without reindexing, then later at your
leisure (after testing/qa whatever you want), you can bump your version to
LUCENE_31 and reindex.