It's also not really the case that committers are mainly here to do work and push the project forward. It's an open source project - its up to the community to push the project as they see fit and have the time.

Committers are simply past contributers that have proven trustworthy and capable in the past - committers are here to commit code (not necessarily their own).

In an open source world, if you want something done, you do it yourself. Most committers have many other things going on at different points in time. This is the land of scratch your own itch most of the time - and once the itch is scratched, a committer will help you get the code commited. Some committers don't have the time to work with Lucene like they once did.

Some core committers have been off doing other things for some time now - others come and go. Some spend more time on Solr. Their time is not bound to Lucene in any way. Others spend an amazing amount of time on Lucene - it seems to me that Lucene has what appears to be 3 full time devs :) Uwe, Robert, and Michael are always hacking away at a frantic pace. They have done an amazing amount of work on the flex branch recently, a large move forward in the core code that will lead to many other large moves forward.

Committers come in all shapes and sizes. We should simply thank them for the time they put in and be happy with it. Lucene is developed by far more people than the committers - a committer is simply someone that has svn write access - anyone can (and many non committers do) drive Lucene core forward.

Not many are going to have the time and know how (and ridiculous genius) to match Mike McCandless' contributions. So it goes. If he is the bar for a committer, I quite.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com