From: java-user-return-45433-paul.b.murdoch=saic....@lucene.apache.org
[mailto:java-user-return-45433-paul.b.murdoch=saic....@lucene.apache.org
] On Behalf Of Mark Miller
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 10:48 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Batch Indexing - best practice?

On 03/15/2010 10:41 AM, Murdoch, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm using Lucene 2.9.2.  Currently, when creating my index, I'm
calling
> indexWriter.addDocument(doc) for each Document I want to index.  The
> Documents aren't large and I'm averaging indexing about 500 documents
> every 90 seconds.  I'd like to try and speed this up....unless 90
> seconds for 500 Documents is reasonable.  I have the merge factor set
> 1000.  Do you have any suggestions for batch indexing?  Is there
> something like indexWriter.addDocuments(Document[] docs) in the API?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Paul

You should lower that merge factor - thats *really* high.

You shouldn't really need much more than 50 or so ... and for search
speed your going to want fewer segments anyway -
if your just going to end up optimizing at the end, there is no reason
for such a large merge factor - you will pay for most of what
you saved when you optimize.

That is very slow by the way. Should be much faster - especially if you
are using multiple threads.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com