I just skimmed your message, but Lucene provides
for multiple sorts. You can construct a Sort object
from an arbitrary number of fields, and any documents
that all sort equally for fields 1..k will be resolved
by considering field k+1.

The performance impact when searching is mostly
upon the very first sort when the caches are filled.
If you have a HUGE number of unique values for
a sort field, that may have heavy memory demands.

As I said, I just skimmed your message, so if I'm off
base let me know...

HTH
Erick