Is there a good way to combine the wildcard queries and stemming?

As is, the field which is stemmed at index time, won't work with some wildcard
queries.

We were thinking to create two separate index fields - one stemmed, one
non-stemmed, but we are having issues with our SpanNear queries (they require
the same field).

We thought to try combining the stemmed and non-stemmed terms in the same
field, but we are concerned about the stats being skewed as a result of this
(especially for the TermVector stats).  Can overloading the non-stemmed field
with stemmed terms cause any issues with the TermVector?

Any suggestions?

Ivan Provalov