"So you gotta call commit() or close().  Once you've done that, you can
reduce the (expensive) cost of opening a new IndexReader by calling
reopen(): "

Steve,

I tried this, and I must have done something wrong.

After my document set was ingested, I called a function which (1) called the
IndexWriter singleton commit() function, (2) then called the IndexReader
singleton reopen() function (no arguments).  (My IndexReader is read only.)
Still didn't find hits in that book.  Then I tried (3) creating a new
IndexSearcher on top of this IndexReader and that also didn't help.

Wonder what I could be doing wrong.

Andy