On 2010-06-30 22:16, Apoorv Sharma wrote:
> This implies there is no way to merge two parallel indexes(based on parallel
> reader) to get a new parallel index. Correct me if I am wrong.

Do you mean sequentially, using IW.addIndexes(new
IndexReader[]{index1,index2}), so that the fields from documents in one
index become attached to the fields in the other index under the same
doc IDs? No, it absolutely doesn't work this way.

Or do you mean to merge the two indexes in parallel? Then just open them
with ParallelReader ;) and submit this parallel reader to
IW.addIndexes(). ParallelReader doesn't expose sub-readers to
SegmentMerger, it returns null from getSequentialSubReaders() so that
SegmentMerger has to use the documents as they are returned from
ParallelReader.document(int). Net effect is that fields from sub-readers
become merged on the same doc id, and will be thus recorded in the
output index.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><